Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My First Blog!

Welcome to Contessa di Cupcake.  

I’m a freelance stage manager, which means I travel.  A lot.   When always traveling to different cities, you find inspiration in the most random and unexpected places.  During a production in Indianapolis last fall, I found myself at “The Flying Cupcake.”


http://www.theflyingcupcakebakery.com/

This adorable local cupcakery became a frequent stop over the next few weeks.  Along with a few friends, I sampled many of their flavors.  We tried their Pumpkin Patch, Blueberry Cream Cheese Blues, Salted Chocolate Caramel, Pretty in Pink, Razzmatazz, Key Lime, Peanut Butter Blackout and of course, the Red Velvet Elvis.  



Now, I have always been a fan of baking, but I didn’t realize that this little cupcake shop was about to provide me with a lot of inspiration. 

In the months since my stay in Indy, I have become cupcake obsessed.  I research cupcakes, I search for cupcakes, I eat cupcakes… but most importantly (to me), I bake cupcakes.  Baking has become a bit of a therapy for me, and it is definitely way more affordable than retail therapy.  Friends have been coming up with challenges for me - different things they would like to see me use in a cupcake - and it has become a creative outlet for me. 

I thought I would start this blog to chronicle my cupcake adventures.  No matter what city I end up working in, cupcakes can be a constant.   Even if I am somewhere without a kitchen and unable to bake, I can still eat cupcakes.  There are cupcake shops all over the country these days – from my hometown NYC to little ole Sarasota, Florida (where I spend a lot of my time).

And to explain the name of the blog, quickly… my wonderful friend Sean, a fabulous opera singer, called me "Contessa di Cupcake" one day.  I told him that if I ever opened a cupcakery, that I would have to use this as the name of the shop.  But, since there is no way I can afford to start any kind of business -  instead here it is, the title of my new blog of cupcake adventures.  Sadly for Sean, with just a blog there will be no profits of which to give him a percentage.

I figured the best way to get going might be to start with the cupcakes that I have made since that trip to Indy, so here is a look back at the year 2010 in cupcakes and into the future of Contessa di Cupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment